Police Explorers Academy
Currently, there are not any Police Explorers Academy sessions scheduled. Please check back for future dates.
The Billings Police Department Explorers Academy aims to elevate motivated students above the crowd. Explorers will get first-hand training from BPD staff that will prepare them as competitive candidates for any job.
Explorers do not have to be interested in a law enforcement career, but have respect for the law and a desire to learn is a must. Scenarios will be law enforcement based, but the Academy is focused on building a better person.
- Have reliable transportation.
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.8.
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Currently, applications are not being accepted, but check back for future sessions.
- Accepted candidates will receive a packet in the mail with directions for class.
- Download the Police Explorers Academy application (pdf file).
- Explorers will meet every Tuesday and Thursday from 5-7 PM for seven weeks.
- Most classes will be held at the Police Barn located at 4810 Midland Road.
- Transportation will not be provided by the BPD for any class or event.
- There is no cost to attend the Explorers Academy, but Explorers will be required to work a fingerprinting shift in order to pay their tuition.
- Explorers will complete a group community project. This project will give Explorers a chance to explore their strengths and put their skills to use.
- Additionally, volunteer opportunities will arise that will require Explorers to use the training learned from class.
Explorers will attend workshops and classroom sessions that focus on BPD training and expectations. This curriculum is designed to build competitive, well-rounded students.
- Physical Fitness
- CPR and First Aid
- Resumes and Interviews
- Dispatch Protocols
- Report Writing
- Domestic Violence
- Trials and Court Process
- Crash Investigations
- Patrol Functions