Prospective Home Buyers
Please thoroughly review the brochure for the First Time Home Buyer Program prior to applying. After review, please fill out the application for the program and return it to the Community Development office with the following documents:
- Federal Tax Return & W-2s
- Pay stubs for the past two months
The City manages a program to purchase vacant foreclosed homes to remodel and offer for sale to low income homeowners. The application for this program is the same as the First Time Home Buyer process as noted in the above brochure and application.
Lead Based Paint
Please see the Lead-Based Paint brochure to inform yourself of the potential dangers of lead-based paint for homes built prior to 1978.
Program Process Flowchart
Here is a flowchart that shows the process of going through the First Time Home Buyer program.
First Time Homebuyer Class
Pre-purchase home buyer education is a requirement of the city's First Time Home Buyer program. These 8 hour classes are designed to assist prospective homebuyers throughout the purchasing process. Do not wait until you have found a home to attend the class! Please call The Home Center at 406-206-2717 to register and learn more information about the class. Pre-registration is required so providers can prepare for the class and can confirm the date you will be attending.
The Community Development Division and affiliated agencies make reasonable accommodations for any known disability that may limit participation in any program, service or activity. Please call 406-657-3045 to make a request for accommodation (Montana Relay: 711).
- 360 Degrees of Financial Literacy: Understand personal finances in every stage of life.
- Better Money Habits - Home Buying: Videos on how mortgages work, understanding interest rates, credit scores, etc.
- CNN Money - Money 101: Step by step guide to gaining control of your financial life.
- Financial Literacy Tips Video
- HUD Website - Homeownership in Montana: A list of housing counseling agencies, assistance programs, etc.