VISTA Summer Associates Program
Summer Associates must be: at least 18 years of age at the beginning of service; a U.S. Citizen, National or Legal Resident. Applicants on the National Sex Offenders Public Registry are not eligible for service.
- Service Term: Begins on June 1, 2018 and ends August 9, 2018
- On-Site Orientation Training: June 1 and June 4, 2018
- Host Site Service Start Date: June 5, 2018
Summer Associate Benefits
In addition to making a credible effort to help people escape poverty, Summer Associates receive the following benefits:
- Relocation Allowance: $500 on the first day of service if traveling more than 50 miles
- Housing Support: $500 if residing in
- Living Allowance: $455 every two weeks
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award: $1,253 or an end-of-service Summer Stipend $345
- Not provided: Summer Associates do not receive health benefits or paid personal / medical leave.
Summer 2018 Service Opportunities - Education & Success in School
The following projects have been developed with an emphasis on the prevention of summer learning loss through activities promoting education, particularly for those in residing in low income areas and children serviced by Title I schools. Math and Reading are educational components of all projects and many Host Sites have dedicated programming to enhance skills and interest Science, Engineering, Technology, and Art.
- Billings Public Library - Pedal-Powered Library: The overall project goal is to increase access to education for low income youth by expanding literacy and STEAM experiential learning programs which will increase educational engagement for at least 15 K-12 students.Engaging and outreaching to elementary and middle school students in experiential, enhanced learning environments are the keys to building interest in literacy success. Billings Public Library is where our community connects and grows together, discovering the love of reading, the joy of learning, and the sharing of creative expression.