Councilmembers serve four-year terms and are limited to two consecutive terms. Members must reside within the Ward from which they are elected and must be qualified voters of the City of Billings.
Effective July 1, 2021 Hybrid City Council Meetings will no longer exist and all City Council Meetings will be held in-person in the Council Chambers, 2nd Floor of City Hall, 210 N. 27th Street.
Hybrid City Council Meetings (June 2021 ONLY)
The City Council meetings will be held in a hybrid format that includes both in-person AND virtual videoconferencing environments. Councilmembers can choose to attend the meeting virtually or in person at the Billings Public Library Community Room. In order to honor the Right of Participation and the Right to Know in Article II, sections 8 and 9, of the Montana Constitution, the City of Billings and City Council are making every effort to meet the requirements of the open meeting laws.
Citizens are invited to:
- Review the Agenda Packet on the City’s website at: City Council Agendas-Minutes
- View the meeting:
- On Community 7 TV - Channel 7 or Channel 507 – Spectrum Cable. (On evenings when there is a conflict with School District No. 2 Board meetings, the City Council meeting will be broadcast on Channel 8 - Spectrum Cable.)
- Online at www.comm7tv.com and click on the “Watch Live” icon. Community 7 also has links to their Facebook page and YouTube channel.
- Watch Live click on "Watch Meetings Online"
- In-Person – capacity is limited to approximately 15 spectators with overflow available in the lobby. Mask and social distancing requirements will be enforced.
Citizens may submit public comment via the following methods:
- Mail: City Clerk, P.O. Box 1178, Billings, MT 59103
- Email Council
- Emails received after 3:00 PM on the day of the meeting, may be posted on the Council's webpage the following day for public viewing.
- Attend the meeting in person - capacity is limited to approximately 15 spectators with overflow available in the lobby. Mask and social distancing requirements will be enforced. Speaks may be asked to exit after speaking to comply with social distancing protocols.
- Attend the meeting virtually by registering at Zoom.us and "join a meeting", enter the Webinar ID and Passcode as indicated on the coversheet of the agenda or click on Zoom Meeting Instructions and Zoom Hybrid Meeting Details below for more information. Attendees are asked to register by Noon the day of the meeting. After registering, a link into the meeting will be sent to the attendee. The link will allow you to attend, view and participate in the meeting on your computer, laptop or smart phone. (You must have the Zoom App on your device Click Here to Download Zoom App ) To provide public comment at the appropriate time, click on the “raise hand” icon located at the bottom of the screen and the moderator will unmute your device.
- Don't have a smart phone, computer or laptop? That's okay -- you too can attend a Zoom meeting from your landline phone. Call the Zoom phone number, 184.108.40.20682 to join the meeting and follow the operator's instructions. Want to give public comment? Simply "raise your hand" by pressing *9 and the moderator will give you permission to speak when it is your turn. *Note this is a long distance toll number and charges may apply depending on your plan.
- Click Here for City Council Zoom Hybrid Meeting Details and Schedule
- Click Here for Zoom Meeting Instructions for Attendees (as guests)
The practice of receiving phone calls for Public Comment has been discontinued.
Future delivery methods may be explored as best practice is learned.
Please contact Denise Bohlman, City Clerk, at 406.657.8210 or via Email, with any questions.