PARKING TICKET INFORMATION
ARTICLE 24-400. - STOPPING, STANDING, AND PARKING
Sec. 24-400. - Owner's absolute liability for violations.
(Ord. No. 02-5232, § 1, 12-9-02)
PARKING TICKET VIOLATION FINE TABLE
Please follow the hyperlink Parking Ticket Violation Table to view the different parking violations that can be issued within the city limits. The downtown parking area has an escalating fine amount when a vehicle is in violation of either a "posted sign" or "metered" violation because of the timed parking regulations. The purpose behind timed parking is to increase vehicle turnover for the downtown businesses and support economic development.
FINES FOR METERED AND TIMED POSTED SIGNED PARKING
- First ticket - $0, Courtesy, Warning
- Second ticket - $10
- Third ticket - $20
- Fourth and subsequent tickets - $40
If fewer than 365 days have elapsed between the issuance of the first ticket and the issuance of the present ticket, the fine will escalate from the previous ticket as provided above. When 365 or more days have elapsed from the issuance of the first ticket, the fine reverts back to a first citation and the 365 day count starts over.
HOW TO PAY A PARKING TICKET
Below are options on how to pay a city issued parking ticket:
- Send your ticket with a check or money order to the City of Billings Parking Division at PO Box 1178, Billings, MT 59103
- If you are paying cash, please go to the City Finance office, located at 210 N 27th Street, and please bring your ticket with you.
- Contact the Parking Division main office at (406) 657-8412 to make a payment over the phone via a credit card. The City does not accept American Express. Please have either your ticket number or license plate number ready to look up before calling.
- Please note at this time the Parking Division does not accept on-line payments for parking tickets.
HOW TO CONTEST A CITY ISSUED PARKING TICKET
If you would like to contest your ticket, you have five business days once the ticket has been issued to submit the Parking Ticket Complaint Form to the City of Billings Parking Division. Below are options on how to submit the form. If you have pictures you would like to submit with your form, please email them to the Parking Division at email@example.com. (please include the ticket number in the subject line). Please allow the Parking Division at least two weeks to review and research your complaint. We will either contact you by a letter or a phone call on our decision.
- Click on the Parking Ticket Complaint Form hyperlink above, or go to the main Parking page, click on Parking Forms, and then Parking Ticket Complaint Form. Please mail the completed form to the address listed on the top of the form along with the ticket.
- To file electronically, please follow the link provided http://www.ci.billings.mt.us/forms.aspx?fid=200. Once the all fields have been completed, please click the submit button.
- Go to the Finance Department, located at 210 N 27th St, and request a Parking Ticket Complaint Form.
- Contact the Parking Division main office at (406) 657-8412 and request a form to be mailed to you.